Sunday, September 25, 2016

Lunch Anyone?


Louis' Lunch. A small little place selling the most important meal of the day.  I've wanted to go here for a while, but I never had the excuse to do so until today. And it was well worth the effort.

- - - - - -

But let me start at the beginning of the day....

GFJ stayed overnight, and neither of us wanted to get moving until noon.  One problem - GFJ does not like to see me in Marian Mode, so I had to wait for her to leave the house until I started to change into Marian.  This gave me precious little time to get showered, made up, and dressed before leaving to see YGM in New Haven.

Initially, YGM protested (that's way too strong a word) that it would be an hour's drive for her. But when she realized that I had a 2 hour drive to get there, she realized that 1 hour is not that bad a drive on a nice day.  So she left her kids (and hubby) at home, and drove to New Haven for a late lunch.

Neither of us had been to this area of New Haven before. Getting off the highway, I expected to see a run down area. But I was surprised once I got a few blocks from the highway's service road. Without realizing it, I was about a block away from Yale University. YGM had driven a little bit in the area, and was pleasantly surprised herself - especially with her Mother having bad mouthed New Haven in the past. So we stumbled into each other (finally) on a nice day, ready to have a nice lunch together.

Walking into the place, the first thing one notices is a small menu - you have a choice of ordering either a hamburger or a cheeseburger, with tomatoes and onions or without. Having catsup on your burger is a no-no there, as the owners have (for years) enforced a policy of "have it our way". And I can't blame them, because the burger is THAT good. Sadly, the place is too small, so when we finished our cheeseburgers, we figured that it would be best to walk around the block.

On our walk, we stumbled into Yale University - and realized why there was so much life in the neighborhood.  Starbucks was too crowded for hanging out. As a result, we walked down the block to a wonderful dairy shop which sold great ice cream and wonderful cheeses.  Too bad I couldn't take any of them home, as I had a dinner date with YGWM and her daughter at 6:00 pm.

- - - - - -

Sadly, 5:00 pm came way too quickly, and both YGM and I had to part.  I drove to Stamford (with a stop in Catherine's to window shop) at my usual breakneck speed, and was able to get to the restaurant (Barcelona Wine Bar) roughly on time. Stamford has a lot of parking, but virtually all of it off street, and all of it metered. So it took me a few minutes to find a spot and pay for it before I was able to walk to the restaurant. 

YGWM waved to me, and YGWM's daughter was there as expected. It was nice to have an outdoor table when the weather was perfect for sitting outside.  The three of us hit it off like old friends, and the three of us ladies enjoyed a wonderful dinner together - until YGWM had a severe allergic reaction to cigarette smoke coming from next door. (That's a problem when one is seated outside.) So we broke things up early, and went our separate ways.

- - - - - -

I had nothing better to do, so I drove to The Avenue in Co-Op city, where I could try on a couple pairs of shoes, as well as a couple of dresses.  The size 13-W pumps fit well, but there was no way I was going to spend $65 on shoes I could get for less if I wait a little while. And then there were the three little black dresses.  Only one of them held my interest.


At 40% off, this dress was priced right.  Although it didn't hide much of my fat, at least it made my fat look feminine and almost got me to spend money to put it in my overflowing closet.  But I was in no mood to spend money without realistic need, so I passed on the dress.

Now, I had earlier talked with Pat, and she told me that Fran was trying to get people to sit at the table she was sponsoring at the GLBT Center's yearly gala. Although Fran offered to pay half of Pat's fee (she knows Pat has no money), I didn't want to have Fran subsidize me (if I chose to go) as I didn't want to owe her anything.  But going would have given me the excuse to buy the dress, and take a day with me away from GFJ - something I don't want to do until the work on the family homestead is done for a while.

- - - - - -

Hopefully, I'll have more opportunities to see YGM and YGWM in the future. But I think it will take the end of work on Long Island to do so.... 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment