Sunday, September 4, 2016

House Rental

Here is a picture of the house I grew up in.  It's a simple and modest home on a 40' x 100' lot, built in 1941.  Given its construction, I can say that the house has good bones.

- - - - - -

My brother and I may be able to rent this house out much sooner than planned.  We would not be able to do any of the renovations we had planned on, and we would not get top dollar for the rental.  But the house would not be a financial drain.  So it's going to be a hard decision if a prospective tenant, vetted on by friends, is willing to move in before renovations are made.

I figure that this opportunity will go away as quickly as it came to us.  Yet,t it illustrated why we must get the place fixed up as soon as possible.  As I mentioned before we have to work on both bathroom and kitchen.  But, most of all, we need to empty the place out.  So this weekend, we will be renting a storage compartment and moving stuff into it over the next couple of weekends.

If I get the chance, I'll photograph the place while I'm there this weekend.  We really need at least a month to work on the place, and neither of us has the luxury of taking off from work for a few days to get this job done any quicker.

- - - - - -

GFJ offered me an extra day this weekend to work on the house.  But my brother isn't ready to spend both weekend days on the house.  And I don't have the energy to do so these days.  Her offer isn't completely in my interest.  She is looking out for her interest, and trying to get paperwork ready for a divorce hearing that she'll be at next week.

The two of them jointly own a business, some property, and a family homestead. Given that the "Wasband" has been running a competing side business, I'm surprised that there is enough money to keep the other side of the business afloat.  And more so, that GFJ might be able to make a go of the business without the "Wasband" around to cause her trouble.

What concerns me is that once GFJ knows what her financial situation will be like, that she'll be making hard decisions.  One of those decisions will be whether she wants to have me in her life for the long term.  Right now, I enjoy what we have - even though it means I don't go out in the world as Marian as often or as long as I need.  The big question is: Is there a future for us?  I'll deal with that question when it has to be answered.

- - - - - - 

PS:  My brother called later in the evening.  We found that my dad had an extra $10k cash value insurance policy that will screw us up with our financial planning for Dad's resources. And my brother had second thoughts on this rental.  So it looks like we'll have the time to fix up the place anyway, but my brother will have to deal with a major paperwork headache to deal with.  AARGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment