Thursday, September 29, 2016

Getting out and about - getting used to a new routine.


I could have gone out to lunch with Lili today.  I could have gone to a meetup in Peekskill today. I could have gone to play Scrabble in Bedford today.  Instead, I sat around the house and did virtually nothing until dinner time.

- - - - - -

Right now, I need these days to myself.  I'll be connecting with friends soon enough, and rebuilding routines which I had established in my first period of unemployment.  My friends are there for me, and that is what is important. It's a good thing that my brother and I are being very careful not to upset each other, as we know we have no one left who can bring us back together.

- - - - - -

Currently, it looks like we'll be on target to get the family homestead cleaned out by Early October, and have the place rentable by the end of the month. My brother and I know that we might not be able to get the place rented until early in the new year. But we are trying our darnedest to make it possible for the place to be rented before the holidays.  Now that my nephew is back from the service (a long story, of which I don't know all the details), my brother intends to use his labor (and that of a friend or two) to get the last of the heavy lifting done before the contractor starts his remodeling work. I'd rather use people who are not family, as I don't want to see my nephew hurt himself over this house. Since my brother is going to do what he wants to do, I'll let him get his way this time.

- - - - - -

When I finally made it out today, I had a choice:  Stay home and do 4 loads of laundry, or go out for a drive and see DD at The Avenue.  Since I wanted to buy a pair of leggings to allow me to wear a couple of short dresses as tunics, the ride to Newburgh won.  (I can always get the rags cleaned before the cleaning lady arrives. And I need to put her back on a monthly schedule until I find work again.) It was nice seeing DD again, as well as meeting a new saleslady.  There was one problem I have to be wary of for a while - I didn't warm up my feminine voice enough, and my transgender nature was showing. (Lili mentioned this to me the other day, and it is something I have to be aware of again.)  I guess that I'll have to always remember to warm up by talking for 5 minutes or so until the right pitch kicks in.... 

On the way back, I stopped at BJ's to pick up some assorted goodies.  I was a little concerned that one of my credit cards would give me problems, because I got a rejected transaction earlier in the day when using the card to buy makeup from Alcone. (They rejected my Discover card, but accepted my Visa card. I wonder if they are doing business with my former employer....)  Luckily, BJ's had no problems with my Discover card, and I expect to make my last commutation ticket payment with the next bill. (When the next commutation ticket arrives, I'll mail it back for a refund.) 


- - - - - -

I'm still getting used to being unemployed.  It does put a crimp in one's life, but one can make do with a little bit of thought and luck.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment