Thursday, September 8, 2016

Bath Time!


One thing my late wife and I loved were lobsters.  We wouldn't think twice of buying two or three lobsters for each of us, boiling water in a restaurant sized stock pot, and giving these crustaceans a nice bath in boiling water. Once they turned a nice shade of red, we'd empty the stock pot, place lots of newspaper over the dining room table, put the empty stock pot in the middle of the table with a big garbage bag to hold the shells, and then feast away!  God, how I miss those days with her and our yearly lobster fest.



Since my wife passed, I've had a string of girlfriends who are allergic to shellfish.  So I've had to have my lobster fests on my own.  And it's not as much fun. But there is one benefit now. I can buy 4, 5, or 6 lobsters, and then have enough lobster meat to last for a few days and a few good meals.

Today was the first chance I've had all season to buy lobsters.  When Stew Leonard's had them on sale, GFJ was with me - and it wouldn't be right to be buying something for me to pig out on, something she couldn't eat.  So I held off on buying my lobster.  Even with a free evening, things still could have gotten in my way.  The seafood department at the local store was closing up shop for the evening, and the fellow in charge did me a favor by picking out 4 lobsters and delaying the end of his shift.

- - - - - -

You'll note that I focused on the bright side of the day first.  I don't know why they still keep me on at the office.  Today, I screwed up a meeting with a client, and screwed it up big time. I am not meeting my benchmarks, and feel it is only a matter of time before I'm gone.  If this happens, I think Marian will be out much more often than she has been in months. And maybe this is a good thing - I've yet to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment