Monday, September 26, 2016

An unexpected Sunday free


No, I don't take the Long Island Railroad when I travel out to work on my family's homestead.  But if it made sense, I'd consider doing so, as I don't like the headache of dealing with Long Island traffic.

- - - - - -

I made plans to drive to Long Island today, when my brother called to give me a day off.  He probably realized that I wouldn't be much help for the task he planned to work on, and I needed the day of rest. So I made the most of it and stayed in bed until 5:00 or so.

Towards mid-afternoon, I made a series of calls.  One of these calls was to Vicki, and she told me about the hell of White Plains commuter traffic.  She didn't realize how bad the traffic would be, as she last worked in White Plains about 25 years ago. So, I told her of my secrets in how to avoid much of the traffic, and have a return commute with less headaches. However, I won't be able to help her much until we're in the same place, and I can draw her a few maps with bypass routes that she can use.

The next call was to BXM.  We don't get the chance to see each other that often, so I figured that I'd take a chance and call her.  She was available for dinner, so my plans were set - if not the place we'd meet, or the place where we'd be eating.  So I got showered, shaved, and made up for a night out as Marian. Once we found a Mexican place to eat (that served drinks), BXM started telling the most recent updates on a 10 year old girl with whom she was trying to help break the family cycle of dysfunction and steer her to a productive life.  (The girl's mother is on welfare, and there is little hope for her to completely break the dysfunctional habits she has learned in life.  But BXM, as a former caseworker, sees hope for the girl, and tries to give the girl any help she can get.)  Sadly, the girl has a long way to go, and I'm not sure if BXM is the person who can give that girl what she needs.

- - - - - -

Hopefully, this girl will break free of the family cycle of dysfunction.  Sometimes, one has to see (or hear about) someone who has it worse than you do to appreciate the things you have.  This girl's life story makes me appreciate who I am and what I have in life....



No comments:

Post a Comment