Monday, August 29, 2016

Visiting Long Island - again!




Three Pictures - and this should give you a clue about what my brother and I are dealing with in getting the house in a shape where it is ready to rent.  In all 3 pictures, you can see wallpaper which has seen its better day, and needs to be removed before we can start work on doing anything important in these rooms.  The bathroom has a sink and medicine cabinet that dates from when the house was built. In addition, the bathtub has a chip on the side. The kitchen has appliances which are at least 20 years old, and will need to be replaced before renting can take place.  But we will also need to replace the cabinets as well, as the ones we have there now look like crap.

Soon, we will have emptied the entire main floor of furniture, and our next tasks will involve tearing apart both the kitchen and bathroom.  These are tasks I want to put oft until the weather becomes cooler, as I don't relish doing this work in the summertime heat.  We plan to replace the kitchen cabinets with prefabricated items, keeping our short term costs as low as possible, and replace the appliances shortly afterward.     The bathroom will require more thought, as we will either need to replace the tub, or to fid a way to fix the chip.  And then we will need to replace the sink, medicine cabinet, and lighting fixtures with ones appropriate for the 21st century.

- - - - - -

I should have started where the day began - with GFJ.  She stayed over from Friday night to Sunday morning, and then left with a few friends to go to Bethel Woods, while I trekked to Long Island.  While driving to Long Island, I called Lili back, and she told me the bad news - her sister had died.  I couldn't say much to comfort her , especially when she had the choice of being in Connecticut for her son's minor surgery, or being in Florida for her sister's wake. Lili will be sitting Shiva for a while, and I will see her then. But I have duties to my family, and they come first.

Once I got to the family homestead, my brother and I went to open up a joint bank account for us to deposit joint funds related to our dad's home, insurance proceeds, and anything that can stay in our hands instead of going to the state or to the nursing home.  My brother told me that he dealt with the funeral parlor, and will be delivering a bank check to them in the morning for the prepaid funeral arrangements.  We still have to deal with issues of a promissory note to get access to the current value one of our dad's insurance policies, giving about half to the State for dad's care.  If I have it bad, my brother has it several times worse.  So I am not complaining.

So far, we have mostly emptied the living room of excess furniture, leaving only the entertainment center, a table, and a couple of chairs for us to sit on.  Today, we tossed a woman's dresser and an end-table from the master bedroom.  Next week, comes the men's dresser and bed headboard from the same 60 year old bedroom set.  Sadly, the furniture has turned into junk, and is not even good enough to give to a local charity.

Once we were done moving furniture to the curb, it was time to start taking pictures of items we want to sell.  There are a lot of them, and most are related to the machine shop trade.  Looking at some of the packages, they seem like they are decades old.



 
 But some of the items are more interesting.

 
I'm sure a railroad buff would love to have an unopened set of playing cards issued by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.  It is fortunate that I didn't open these decks when I was a kid.

- - - - - -

I'm not going to go into detail about the rest of my day.  Seeing my dad is always a little bit draining for me, now that he is in the nursing home and has nothing much to say.  He is my dad, and I'll be there for him no matter what.  But I don't always have to enjoy the "no matter what".




 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment