Sunday, August 28, 2016

Quickie: Thinking about work on a day off


In the shower this morning, I looked at the issues at work from a different perspective and it's just as shocking for different reasons. One of the issues I have is an inability to retrieve information which is in my brain when I need that information.  To illustrate, let's say that I've been working on antique cars all my life, and dealing with carburetors for regulating the air/fuel mixture for the engine. Then all of a sudden, one is working with fuel injectors (with a little more technology thrown in).  Now, one doesn't have to work on the engine to understand what is going on.  But one has to know how the pieces fit, and where they fit. And though I know how and where they fit, I'm having a hard time retrieving this information when called on.

I know there is a normal process of aging, where memory is harder to use for new things. And this is what frightens me.  From a person who always found it easy to pick up on new ideas, and was open to those new ideas, I am now a person who is having trouble using those new ideas - and is having trouble because of it.

Should I be worrying?  If so, I don't want to end up like my grandmother.  She went senile a little after my grandfather died.  I don't feel that I have anything to worry about yet, as what I'm experiencing is normal for my age.  But I can't help wondering - what if there was something wrong in my mental functioning that I should be worrying about and planning for?


   

No comments:

Post a Comment