Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Diplomacy - A skill I respect and lack sorely


Here is a woman who had natural beauty and charisma from the day she was born until the day she died.  I wish I had a fraction of her skills in diplomacy. 

- - - - - -

I've often mentioned work and my problems on the job.  The most important problem is that I'm like a person who deals with Asperger's syndrome - often insensitive to social cues.  And this is the skill I need most on the job, and one that takes years to develop.  Sadly, I don't have those years to spend learning this skill.  So I wouldn't take any bets that I'll be at this job come the new year.

Why do I mention the job today?  I was hoping to get home on time and be able to do some laundry.  Instead, it was the second day in a row that I got home late, and the second day that laundry was not in the cards for me.

- - - - - -

Tonight, instead of the planned loads of laundry I had on my task list, I decided to figure out why my dad's old laptop couldn't connect to any Wi-Fi networks.  After about an hour of trial and error, I stumbled onto a setting hidden in the bowels of Windows 8.1 - and got his machine working again.

I'm now trying to do a backdoor upgrade to Windows 10 on the same machine.  However, I've failed in doing this before, and I'm likely to fail again.  But it's worth one last effort.  The upgrade is supposedly available for people who use adaptive technology, and I can always say that I'm preparing this machine for him, now that he's in the Nursing Home.

- - - - - -

Tomorrow night, I have to support a deployment for one of my clients.  Of course, this means I can't go out to have fun as Marian - even if I got home early.  At least I'll have Friday night and the whole of Saturday to enjoy my time in Marian Mode. 




PS:  You might recognize the woman at the top of this post by one of her childhood pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment