Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Board Meeting






How does one talk about a co-op board meeting without saying anything about the details of the meeting?  We had a lot to talk about at tonight's meeting, and yet I can't say too much.  There were the usual issues that we discuss, and some that involve residents that must be kept private to preserve their privacy.

- - - - - -

Over the past few years on the board, I have befriended our co-op board president.  She'll get my support in almost every issue, simply because she understands "realpolitik" at the local level. And this is the invaluable contribution that she makes to our co-op - she understands the levers of power in almost every situation, and almost always errs on the side of caution.

During tonight's meeting, we had differences of opinion on how a couple of our critical issues were to be addressed.  And like our co-op president, I realize the legal limits to what we can do to resolve some issues.  Both of us wish we could do much more.  And, like me, she'd rather follow a cautious path than to have everything blow up in our faces with the issues we are dealing with.

- - - - - -

After the meeting, one shareholder came to us with a problem.  (No, I won't mention what the problem is.)  But we told this shareholder how to make an effective complaint that would reach the board, and how to make it doubly effective.  (HWV, if you read this, I don't think I've gone too far in describing some of the co-op's dynamics.)  One thing I did learn, even
though we were speaking in a normal volume, is how well sound carries in our parking lot.

Much of the conversation in the parking lot involved social issues.  HWV's family will be in town soon, and I'd love to meet them in Manhattan if they make it there while I'm in town. Ideally, I'd be able to show them the town in Marian Mode.  But today was one of the very rare days in August where it was not uncomfortably hot and humid - and not typical of the weather at this time of year. So if this get together comes off, it will be with me in Mario Mode. 

Sooner or later, we'll be able to go out for another night on the town.  But, until then, I'll have to have memories of our quick visit to Katz's....













No comments:

Post a Comment