Monday, August 15, 2016

Another long weekend....


The one reason that I didn't go out en-femme on Saturday was that I had dinner scheduled with the Cat Lady from New Jersey.  Just before I was to leave, she asked me for something.Could I bring a large pair of pliers?  She had to remove a garden hose from its faucet, and even her neighbor was unable to get it unstuck.

The chemistry was never strong between me and the Cat Lady, but we did find each other interesting enough to date now and then.  The problem for me is that I often can not get a word in edgewise.  She's one of those talkers who seems to have trouble dealing with quiet, or to let the other person fill in the quiet at times.

On Saturday, we got together, and I knew that nothing was going to happen between us. As much as I would have wanted to be invited inside again, I knew that if this were to happen, I'd be suffering an allergic reaction within an hour or so because of her 3 very furry cats and their dander.   When I got there, I knocked on the door, and she came out on e the side - where I proceeded to remove her old garden hose from the faucet.  It was an easy job for me, as the sudden drop in temperature from the rain helped make it possible to unscrew the hose fitting from the faucet.  Once done there, it was time to go to the restaurant.

If this weren't Summer, we could have walked to the restaurant which was on the other side of the railroad tracks.  (Didn't I mention that she lives less than 1,000 feet from the train station?)  But given the heat and humidity, we drove the 2 minutes to the restaurant, where we proceeded to eat, and hang out for a couple of hours. Then, it was off for ice cream, where she had a few spoonfuls, and I polished off the rest.  The night ended with a hug, and a promise to keep in contact.

Should I tell her about Marian and see what she says?  Who knows, but with 3 cats, I don't want to be popping allergy pills like they were M&Ms.

- - - - - -

Sunday, as usual, was a day reserved for cleaning out the family homestead and seeing my dad. Given that I went to sleep late the night before, I didn't get moving until noon. And with GFJ possibly coming over for the evening, the schedule for the day was going to be awkward at best.

I'm grateful to have been on the road when my brother called me, as there would have been hell to pay if I were still at home.  It took about an hour and a half to get there due to weekend traffic, but I was there before my brother - as usual.  Today's clean-out  wasn't as strenuous as usual. But we did sort through a lot of junk in the basement. But the most interesting find was that my dad's laptop was a more modern machine than my desktop, so I took it home to work on.

This week, my brother wasn't in the mood to have a bite to eat afterwards, so I drove home to meet GFJ (who was on her way back from Connecticut).  It was nice to have something to eat with her, and for her to stay the night. 

- - - - - -

All in all, it wasn't a bad weekend.  But I could use both time and money - two things that aren't going together for me lately....


 


No comments:

Post a Comment