Saturday, August 6, 2016

A visit to the doctor and working from home.


No, my internist is nothing like the fictional House, M.D. - he has a nice personality, and is more like Marcus Welby than anything else. Yet, I always dislike going to visit him, as I'll often get a lecture about exercising more and eating less. So, it was with a little trepidation that I visited his office for a simple blood pressure monitoring.

In order to see my doctor, I have to schedule some time to work from home. This is not so bad.  I can sleep an extra two hours, as I don't have to make the commute into the city.  But I feel I am much less productive, as I have to fight my instinct to waste time.  If GFJ weren't coming over tonight, I'd have gotten dressed as Marian as soon as I got home, and scheduled dinner with BXM or Pat for sometime later in the evening. But GFJ was coming over, so I had to stay dressed as Mario for the day.

This visit, I was very lucky.  The walking I have been doing on a regular basis as part of my commute has helped to lower my blood pressure - and the doctor was very happy, saying that I should keep it up.  But he did let his guard down a little, and talked about the pressures that Obamacare is putting on his practice as a result of consolidation in hospital chains and insurance carriers.  He right in one area - too few competitors will likely ruin health care in the United States.

And then it was back to my house to work for the rest of the day.  It's hard for many to believe, but I prefer going into an office for work.   There are less distractions there, and I am much less likely to be away from my "desk" when I don't have the distractions of home to get in my way.  Luckily, I got most of the week's tasks taken care of by Thursday, so a Friday at home isn't that bad.  And I can easily take a catnap or two when I need it most....


1 comment:

  1. We agree that Obamacare will likely ruin health care in this country. I have heard complaints from many doctors and if you look at the premise of the program there is little chance of it ever improving health care. I know that my premiums have shot through the roof and both of my kids lost their coverage.

    ReplyDelete