Friday, July 22, 2016

Work - I'm glad I have a job, but on days like this....


This entry is more of a quick comment on how my life is going as of late.  Even though my job can be frustrating because I'm picking things up slowly, I do enjoy it.  And I am very thankful to have a job that pays me well enough to save what I was taking out of the bank when not working. But on days like this....

New York in the summer is often Hazy, Hot, and Humid.  Today was no exception, as the temperature was in the high 80's (or low 90's), and the humidity was so thick that could cut the air before breathing it with a knife and fork.  Tomorrow is going to be worse, with the temperature breaking 90 degrees.  If I had a reasonable choice, I'd have stayed in my apartment until the sun went down.

This is the time of year where women have it much easier than men - at least when it comes to how much they can wear at the office and still look "professional". They can keep themselves cool by exposing their decolletage, as long as they don't show off "too much" skin.  Of course, they can always wear a nice skirt (or dress), allowing the lower half of their bodies to be well ventilated. Yet, they can only do so much to deal with being outside in this weather.

No, women do not have it easier than men.  With this freedom of dress comes many a problem.  How do they send signals of commanding respect while looking feminine?  Often the two objectives are mutually exclusive.  A man can command power and look sexy while dressed formally.  Sadly, a woman can't command power if she looks sexy - excepting, maybe, power in the bedroom.  And therein lies the unsolvable problem. Women like Hillary Clinton (whatever you think of her) can't be seen as being sexy, as they lose the power to command. And they are also held to a higher standard than the men they must deal with.

So, given levels of personal comfort and personal power, it makes sense for me to defer 24x7 transition until after I have retired.  I'm at that point in life where it makes sense to squeeze out the last benefits of my male privilege (and male liabilities, of which there are many) before transition - simply because I do not perceive that I could command the same authority at work, when I need it most. What can I say?  The choices of both how and when to transition are hard, and not ones to be rushed....






   

1 comment: