Saturday, July 16, 2016

Dining at the Diner



Lower Manhattan is known for its skyscrapers.  But it also the home of an old diner (vintage 1966 or so) which is still going strong in the Financial District.  Strip away the facade, and you'll see the guts of a building which has seen its better days.  Yet, the building is clean and the food is good.  What more can one ask of a diner?

I feel that the days of this diner may be numbered.  It is a needed place, as many offices no longer have in-house cafeterias.  Yet, the value of this real estate alone may be more than the building that sits on the land.  When I used to work in this area almost 35 (or so) years ago, this part of town wasn't as built up as it is now.  But I could say this about many of the properties near Water Street and the South Street Seaport. Now, it's hard to find buildings less than 10 stories high.

Like many areas in NYC, it's a fine place for looking at the ladies in Summer, as more and more of them have shifted into their Summer wear of dresses and skirts.  (And as I've said before, I envy them!)  There is something about this area of the city that makes me feel comfortable here, and I think it is the fact that people have colonized buildings once occupied by businesses, and we're starting to see a neighborhood that again has character.

- - - - - -

Today was my boss's last day in the office before his trip to our firm's main office for a week long training session.  And I made sure to take care of things before he left.  I made a few mistakes when making a presentation, but nothing anything to worry about.  Most importantly, they are now trusting me to take a new client (albeit, a low value one) and bring it up on our system.  I hope I don't screw it up!

Normally, I might have tried to call Lili, but I didn't have much time.  GFJ is safely ensconced in upper New England for a short vacation (or a long, long weekend) with her sister.  She is in a dead zone for cell phones, so all we can do is email each other.  Sooner or later, I have to chat with Lili.  And I know that she will soon go to see her sister in Florida.  She will then be out of touch in more ways than one....

This may be my last weekend for a while where I will get to spend one day in Marian Mode. And, I'm glad that day is tomorrow - I need the break from it all.  Having a taste of what my brother is going through with my dad, dealing with the stresses of the office, and getting a little sick have all taken a toll on me.

Yes, I am a little repetitive as of late.  But that's because I don't have lots of new experiences to write about.  Work takes up 5 days of my week, GDJ and my family are taking up the remaining 2 days.  Even Lili is getting shut out.  This is what I signed on for when I accepted the job offer, and yet, it is not what I expected.

As John Lennon said: "Life is what happens while you are making other plans."









1 comment: