Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Another "I had no idea what to write about" until the story came to me on its own.


My friend Vicki.  A typical cisgender female with all the problems that a typical American female has - including that of being taken advantage of because she's female.  The high point of my day was a phone call which was awkward for me to take (only because I was cooking dinner, and had nowhere to sit), but well worth the discomfort of standing for a good part of an hour long call.

- - - - - -

Women often get financially abused in business because they have been trained not to take chances.  Being risk averse is part of a woman's lot.  Women are often afraid to ask for what they want in a business negotiation, as they are often afraid that they will lose what has been offered.  In short, they will accept third best, only because they aren't demanding the best as part of their negotiation strategy. I saw this first hand when my job's offer was made to me. None of the things I wanted would cost my firm any money.  Yet, the ladies with whom I played Mah Jongg all thought I was too demanding, and that I could spook away my job offer.  This is where being Transgender has been an asset to me.  I did not get overly programmed to avoid risk.

Vicki has worked for the technology division of her hospital (partially owned by the hospital, so that they could retain profits in the division) for decades.  She complained that even though her bosses were trying to get her pay somewhere near market levels, upper management didn't give a damn.  In order to get more money from the hospital, one had to leave it, get market rate on the outside, and then come back to a competitive offer.  Over the years, she accepted this because the benefits were good. But the problems of being underpaid got bigger and bigger.

Recently, Vicki put her resume out in the field.  She wasn't looking hard for a job, as one doesn't throw away experience in a place where one has grown comfortable. But when someone made an offer that gave her a raise that put her on a par with my salary, she'd have been a fool not to take the job.  (And she took it!)  Now, she sees how the old place took advantage of long time employees, seeing things in a light that  she had never seen before.

- - - - - -

Of course, I am very happy for Vicki.  She deserves only the best.  But I feel a little bit sorry for the people who will be taking over for her.  She was doing the work of 3 or 4 people without seeing it as such, and now she'll have an easier job with more pay, while her former coworkers will be forced to take up the "slack".  Sooner or later, things reach the breaking point, and I'm glad that Vicki got out while she can still feel good about her experience at the hospital....






No comments:

Post a Comment