Thursday, June 2, 2016

Sometimes, I feel like my life is crumbling around me ....and there's nothing I can do but watch.


Sometimes I feel like the man in this picture.  Everything seems to be crumbling around him, and one starts to wonder what can come next.  This seems to be the theme of my life over the past few years, and when things start getting good ... WHAM!  Something else takes the wind out of me.

- - - - - -

I was up late the night before, making sure that everything was in order on my office laptop computer, so that I could work from home on Friday.  This would allow me to avoid the trek into NYC for a half day of work preceding the holiday weekend.  (There are minor issues, but I should have no problems working around them.)  So when I got to work in the morning, I was a little tired, but had enough energy to make it through the day.

In the afternoon, my boss called me in for a weekly status meeting. This worried me a little for several reasons.  The last time we met in someone's office, I was told that I was not performing up to snuff - and I had concerns here.  Next, I knew that I made a few minor mistakes in understanding my boss - and this could be a problem.  But most of all was an innocuous conversation I had with a high mucky muck's personal assistant - where I told two "clean" ethnic jokes that generally could be safely told in a public setting. (Think of jokes from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - none insulted anyone, and they made friendly fun of being ethnic.) Could I have gone too far?  I was prepared for the worst.

When we had the meeting, he told me that some people misunderstood what I was doing while the mucky muck made his presentation.  They thought I was doing something else other than listening to the man, when I was actively taking notes, so that I could stay awake AND enjoy what I was hearing - some very good news about our division of the company.  Of course, there was an issue I was sort of concerned about - my written communication style is too direct, and can be taken the wrong way.  So I'll have to be much more careful with how I communicate with people in writing, as they can not easily see that I am a minimalist in my writing.  (You should see how GFJ and I communicate via morning emails while I'm on the train to work!)

- - - - - - 

By the time I left the office, it was too late to do anything but go home.  Although WDJ was still in New York, I wasn't in the mood for another late night before the weekend.  Yet, I could have easily gone out in Marian Mode, had I gotten home early enough.  By the time I had the chance to talk with GFJ, it was bed time for her.  So we chatted for a half hour before she went to bed, and before I cooked dinner.  But in our conversation was a reminder of an idea I had - spending a couple of nights away from home, and seeing some sights in upstate New York.  

Right now, I'm thinking of driving up to Rochester on Friday night, and going to the Eastman House Museum on Saturday.  (I dated a woman there almost 2 decades ago, and never had the chance to visit this museum.)  From there, we'd drive down to Cooperstown the next day (or do something else in the Finger Lakes region) and then back to GFJ's place on Sunday evening.  It'd be a long series of drives, but a nice excuse for the two of us to spend some time in a place other than Atlantic City.  One way or another, I'll be sure to get pictures....

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment