Sunday, June 5, 2016

Quickie: I've been working on the railroad


Have you ever been to a railroad station when work is going on?  We take so much for granted, as we go to work and come home long before and after general maintenance is performed.  And yet, things seem to happen without us noticing them.

The other day, I went to the doctor, and then went to the office about 3 hours late. And I caught these men doing their jobs.  Every so often, the warnings must be repainted, so that people remember to watch where they stand when the train comes into the station.  It was nice to see some life at an otherwise deserted station.

But this was not the only time I saw men doing work here.  About a week before this day, one engine was spewing a light mist of oil on the tracks, and the trains that followed were slipping - whatever traction they had was being adversely affected by the slippery tracks. When I got home in the evening, I saw railroad workers applying something that looked like kitty litter on the tracks to absorb the oil.  Did it work?  They used the same substance that automotive race tracks use to absorb oil on the pavement.  So I must assume this stuff did its job.

One day, I may get around to publishing some pictures involving work crews on the NYC Subway.  Until then, this lone picture will have to do....




No comments:

Post a Comment