Monday, June 6, 2016

Improving a towel.






Recently, I bought "Wearable Towels" for both myself and GFJ.  Both of us love these towels, but there is a problem with the basic design.  If you look at the above woman's right hand, she is holding a corner of the towel which is meant to be tucked in above her breasts.  The problem - the towel hangs "funny", and doesn't look or feel as good as it did in the online catalogs.

This is one thing that I think GFJ would be comfortable with me wearing around her when she's here. And I might as well feel comfortable while I wear it.  So I figure that I'd pick up some sew-on Velcro, and attach it to the towel to make it hang better.  I am very lucky to be able to do some basic sewing, as I learned this skill when I was young.  Although my fingers hurt a little when I sew for a long time, I feel that it's better for me to hold and use a needle and thread than to pay someone else to hold and use it for me.

- - - - - -

There are so many things that can be improved on that we don't think about them that much.  Years ago, when people used VHS tapes, they wanted to watch movies without waiting for the VHS deck to rewind the tapes.  As a result, some smart person thought of the separate VHS tape rewinder.

I'm not the kind of person who can easily look at things and find a need that needs to be fulfilled.  I just stumble into them, as my creativity, etc. comes from a different part of my mind.  This is why I can respect the kind of folk who are able to see things when the rest of us can't. But we must be wary of corrupt leaders who see danger where there is none - such as many of the evangelists who claim that us transgender folk are demons in disguise.  People can and do follow these evil folk, and there is often not much we can do, but bob and weave around their punches.

- - - - - -

Before I get into an overly political discussion, I have to note that most people's creativity is biased towards helping others, and not hurting others. And I think that over time, people will start to stereotype us transgenders as making positive contributions to society in specific areas (such as Gay people being associated with clothing design and hairdressing) instead of the negatives spewed by traditionalist leaders.

Our job, as I see it, is to find niches we can fill - and make sure that people start seeing us as "normal" folk, instead of the "freaks" seen by the traditionalists. There are many ways for us to establish ourselves in society - we must find the collective creativity to find them and to use them as a group....






No comments:

Post a Comment