Sunday, June 26, 2016

A very busy day that started with a sad elephant.


I'll say she is....  

That's an old expression from the 1920's, and it is also the name of the Marx Brothers'  first Broadway play - something which hasn't been seen since 1924.  And tonight, it would be the high point of the day.  

- - - - - -

But first....

When I got up this morning, GFJ was laying in bed next to me.  My CPAP machine wasn't happy - it was reading a red, unhappy face because of the leak coming from my nasal mask.  Luckily, GFJ's machine had only happy faces - she had a good seal for her evening's sleep.  This was GFJ's last full day in New York before going on vacation to the Pacific Northwest.   Part of me wanted her to stay, and another part of me wanted her to leave - so I could change into Marian Mode for the rest of the day.  She recognized my conflicting needs (as well as her need to get everything ready for her trip ASAP), and left the apartment at 11:00 am.  This allowed me to get into Marian Mode and out the door by 1:15 pm, so that I could drive most of the way to New Haven - and buy the dress in my size that I tried on the week before.

I should have been in a rush to get out the door and I should have avoided the Connecticut Turnpike like the plague.  Not only was traffic jammed most of the way through Fairfield County, but I wasn't driving that well - I was being distracted and could have easily gotten into an accident had I been following cars any closer than I was doing.  By the time I made it to Catherine"s, it was almost 3:30 pm, and I was going to be late for my engagement with HWV for the evening. At least they had the dress - and I was able to snag it before it left the clearance rack.

On the way back home, I was doing 70+ on the Merritt Parkway.  But I wasn't driving that much faster than the traffic around me.  And I was able to make it home by 5:00 pm, about 30 minutes later than planned. So I called HWV, picked her up before stopping back at my place, and off we went into NYC.

We talked about many things, one of which was how being transgender affects so many parts of my life.  And this was good, as we got stuck in traffic jams on the way down to the theater.  We ended up finding a local parking lot which was charging an exhorbitant price for parking - but even at that price, it was cheaper than having taken the train and much more comfortable given the temperature outside.

Not having that much time for dinner, we stumbled into the first place that looked appetizing - and had a meal which was better than our surroundings.  Although I can't remember the name of this place, I'll be sure to pick up a card the next time I'm in "Alphabet City".  Luckily, this place was less than a block away from the theater, and we got there just before the show started.  We had to "Settle" for a pair of far right side front row seats - for which the only obstructed view was when "Chico" played the piano.

If you have a chance to see this play before it close on July 2nd, do so.  I'm glad I saw it when it was staged as part of the NYC Fringe festival, and am glad I had the chance to see it again with full staging for its one month run.  The fellow playing "Groucho" did a good job in his role, and did ad-libs appropriate for modern times - such as noting that when he was dressed as a fairy, that there are some bathrooms in North Carolina that he'd have trouble using.  What surprised me most was that all of the "Brothers" could play musical instruments when called for, and that the person playing "Harpo" actually could play the harp.  As much as I think that the staging of the "Cocoanuts" I saw 19 years ago was better, I think the effort put in by these people was more on target - as "Harpo" did his best to channel as much of the real Harpo as he could.  

One thing of note before I leave the theater...

While some orchestrated mayhem was going on onstage, we had some plastic fruit tossed our way from the stage.  I had some fun, and tossed back a couple of apples - but not in a way to disrupt the mania we were watching.  A couple of minutes later, "Groucho" mentioned us (two ladies) in one of his ad-libs.  It's nice being seen and treated as a lady....

- - - - - - 

Leaving the theater, we both wanted some dessert.  So we ended up at the Remedy diner on Houston street - where we both enjoyed a nice dessert.  But this wasn't the end of our night.  We still had to make it over to Katz's so that HWV could pick up a pastrami sandwich that could feed her for 2 days.


Trust me, HWV is not smiling because of the flowers she is carrying.  She bought them, and simply loves having flowers around the house.  No, she is smiling because the man behind the deli counter is carving up some of the tastiest food you'll ever get in a New York City deli.


Trust me, the pastrami tasted better than this left over slice looks.  I should have bought a pound while I was there.  

- - - - - -

By the time we got back to our car, it was about 11:30 or so.  Since neither of us were yet ultra tired, I decided to show her where I worked.  And then it was time to drive home - I'll bet that she fell out within 5 minutes of entering her doorway.  But I know we'll do excursions like this again.













   









1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great night. A week or so ago we went to see Billy Joel at MSG. Traffic was rotten and parking expensive but we ate dinner at Ben's Kosher Deli on 38th. Pastrami on Rye, square knish, matzo ball soup, Dr. Brown's Celery...heaven in my mind. Just not good for the waist line

    ReplyDelete