Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Where was the "Fat Lady" when I wanted her?


This was a day where I wished I could be coming home from work en-femme.  

"Why?" you might ask.

Well, when I reached Times Square on the way home, there was a fellow singing a famous aria from a Verdi Opera: "La Donna è Mobile" - and badly.  But then again, I'm not a fan of any opera not written  before 1900, and not written by either Gershwin or Townsend. So, if I were en-femme, this fat lady would have taken up the mike, sung a tune by Buffet ("Why don't we get drunk...?"), and eased the misery of people having to commute through Times Square.

When I reached Grand Central, I had the pleasure of seeing these gentlemen sing an aria about youthful angst first written and performed by Jagger, an aria about a young man with bad grammar, who could not find any satisfaction in life - but might, by the following week.... 

Yes - I did rank "I can't get no satisfaction" higher in value than "La Donna è Mobile".  And which tune is listened to more these days?  I have a strong feeling that the best of our popular music will be held in higher esteem than much of the classical collections.  But only time will tell.  But after almost 50 years, "Satisfaction" should be considered a modern classic, along with many of the tunes that came from the "British Invasion" of the 1960's.

- - - - - -

On other matters....

GFJ had a mediation meeting today to discuss her divorce with her to be ex husband.  At the time I write this, I do not know what happened.  But I do know that she'll be coming home with a bit of heartburn from the interaction, and know that I'll try to be there for her when we finally get the chance to chat.

At work, I started efforts on another project - with more to come.  Now that the work is coming in, I made sure to stay late, so that the project can get underway in a timely manner. I think my boss liked seeing me stay late for a change, as he may realize that I'll be there for the work when the work is there.

WDJ is coming in from her "winter home" today, and I hope to see her sometime later this week (or next week).  It'll be nice to catch up with her.  But it'll be a shame that the Whine and Dine crew won't be having dinner while she's here.  (If they do, it'll be a last minute meal - so meeting them is something I don't count on anymore.)

- - - - - -

As you can see - it has been a quiet, but busy day.  And I like it that way....






No comments:

Post a Comment