Saturday, May 21, 2016

Two former coworkers talking


I've said that one of the best things that happened to me was being let go by my old firm.  Today, I had the chance to talk with a former coworker who was also let go by the firm, and we both had the same feeling about the firm - it's going down the tubes because it grew too big.

When I started with my old firm, it was one of the top 25 banks in the USA.  It had a solid branch network in the NYC area, but didn't invest in the branches.  Instead, it made the decision to invest in businesses that serve the "Fortune 100" customer and High Value Individuals (read: People who have more than $5,000,000 to invest). At the time of my departure, it had traded away the branches for another bank's trust business, and then merged with one of the top three competitors in the markets it chose to be in.  Not only should you be able to identify this bank with a small amount of research, but you should be able to identify who we merged with....

Today, it looks like the bank wants to spin off at least one of its remaining businesses (from a conversation I had with someone once part of the food chain, but has no current knowledge of management's intentions), and it is one of 5 commercial bank holding companies that failed its requirement to have a plan to shut down their organizations in an orderly fashion in case of failure.

I know this fellow would be shocked to find out that I'm transgender, so I left this out of our conversation.  But I did say that the 21 months that  I was unemployed was some of the best times I had in my life, as I was free to be Marian where and when I wanted.  He is also glad to be gone, and he finds it humorous that he is a consultant at the old firm.  Of course, he can't wait for a job offer to become final, so that he can leave the place once and for all. 

The firm had just installed a "living wall" in the building when I was there.  Now, they don't want anyone taking pictures, as the wall has turned brown due to a lack of proper maintenance.  This is a good symbol for what has happened to the old firm - they got involved in doing things for the image, and then let things turn brown because they didn't take care of essentials.

Part of me wants to go back to see some of my old coworkers.  But I realize that I have nothing worthwhile to say to them - and not many are left anymore.  It's sad.  It was once a great place to work, but the camaraderie is gone - no one there is working out of pride, they are only working for paychecks.  At least my new job has people who work there because it excites them to come in to work in the morning.  And this is a blessing.....




No comments:

Post a Comment