Friday, May 20, 2016

Playing even more games


As much as I don't want to give any details that would identify the company I work for, sometimes it's worth mentioning the behaviors of people to illustrate the environment I work in.  But in doing so, I must be extra careful, as the last thing I want to do is to give any person in the company, or the company itself a bad name.

- - - - - -

I knew from the get-go that today would be a long day at work.  Instead of leaving an hour or two early (as I usually do on Thursdays), I left at 5:00 sharp.  Like the other Project Managers in the division, I was called in for an "all hands" meeting to listen to a presentation of the firm's financial position.  And we were doing quite well in relation to the rest of the firm.

What bothered me is that the two highest ranking people on site were drinking (not too much), and offering glasses of wine from the boxes of red and white that they brought to the conference room.  No one had to drink, but it would have been a little impolite not to take a glass - especially when one had to listen to people 2,000 miles away discuss the measure of a business that has yet to reach double digit growth.  And when these two hot shots were making jokes and wisecracks while the line was muted, why bother attending the meeting in the first place?

No, I was totally bored by the presentation.  But if I were the people involved in leading the call, I'd have been awfully pissed off.  So I have to agree with my boss on one thing - don't get either of these two people pissed off!

- - - - - -

After the meeting, I rushed out the door - and made it home an hour late.  Given that I needed to clean myself (I was sweaty, and still had to deal with hemorrhoid issues), I rinsed myself off in a shower, and then got ready to go out in Marian Mode.  By the time I made it to Yonkers, it was after 8:30 pm, and in other circumstances, I'd say - "Why Bother?"  But I had a good time playing the game "Masquerade" - even though I lost.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early - 6:00 am comes way too quickly these days, and I still needed to get my place ready for the cleaning lady to come.  So out the door I went, and I made it home shortly after 11:15 pm....

No comments:

Post a Comment