Friday, May 6, 2016

A bloody mess


This was one of the two times in my life that I wish I had been born a cisgender female - not for the low grade gender dysphoria I deal with, but for one of the headaches of being a typical female that would have prevented me from embarrassing myself a little as a cisgender male.

What am I talking about, you may ask?

Almost 20 years ago, I was walking around the Buchart Gardens (outside of Victoria, BC) and a boil I had between my scrotum and anus burst.  By the time I got back to the bus, my trousers were literally a bloody mess, and I was cobbling together ways to absorb the blood for the next week.  In short, I effectively had to deal with the most inconvenient part of having a period, without the recurring monthly problems of having a cisgender female body.

Today, a boil (or some other blood filled sac) broke open in a similar area, and I had a similar problem at the office today - two hours away from home and both clean clothes and a hot shower.  Although I was able to clean myself up enough to be presentable, I still had a mess to deal with - and I was very embarrassed.  Thankfully, I was able to leave early today (it was a Thursday, after all) - and was very grateful to have this option.  (Too bad that I couldn't go out drinking with the rest of the crew - we had another event on the company dime, and it would have been nice to be able to make small chat with new office friends.)

If I had been born a cisgender female, I'd likely have had a couple of maxi pads laying around in my purse, and I'd have been wearing them in a slightly unconventional position. As a cisgender male, I'm not expected to have this problem, or use this method of dealing with unwanted blood.  You can easily see why being a cisgender female in this situation might have been much less embarrassing - had I been using what women use when they expect unwanted blood in that area....

Luckily, I have a scheduled doctor's appointment in the morning.  Although it is for periodic blood pressure, the timing is perfect - I can discuss this problem with the doctor, and see what I should do next.  (GFJ has told me that she can't make it down tomorrow, if I need to go to someone else quickly.  So I may end up calling Lili - as much as I hate doing so....)


No comments:

Post a Comment