Wednesday, April 13, 2016

What may have been the coldest day of the Spring...



I'll bet you that the woman wearing this outfit would have frozen her buns off today.  Yet, there were so many women in NYC who were wearing skirts and dresses to work, that I would have felt at home if I were in Marian Mode.  Alas, I work as Mario, and I got much more exposed to the cold than I wanted....

- - - - - -

When I started out for work this morning, I was running late.  But I was glad to have been wearing a sweater under my coat, and to be carrying both gloves and ear muffs as well.  Other than being 5 minutes late to the train station (with 10 to spare), it looked like I'd have a normal commute.  But once I got off the shuttle to Times Square, all my plans were out the door.

Going to the Downtown platform, I noticed that there was no one on the stairs, but that it was much more crowded than usual.  No express trains were coming, and after 10 minutes, we found out why - there was a train stuck at 72nd street.  A few minutes later, that same train pulled into Times Square and left - without opening its doors to pick up passengers. So at that point, I knew it was time to switch over to the Broadway line, and go to Whitehall Street, where I would likely be able to pick up a bus to my office.

Of course, my plans were foiled, when I had to wait another 10 minutes to catch the right Downtown train - and reached Lower Manhattan a little after I normally get to my office.  BRRRR!!!!!  The bus I wanted to catch wasn't running, so I had to hoof it for 15 minutes in a sub freezing chill until I got to work.

- - - - - -

Going home was a little better - I was able to strip off one layer of clothing, as the temperature had broken 40 degrees. But, I missed a train home, so I ended up getting in my door at 8:00 pm - too late to do much for the rest of the evening.  (Again, if I made the earlier train, I'd have had an option to go out in Marian Mode - something that I'd like to do tomorrow, if I get home early enough....)

However, there was one bit of good news.  Earlier in the day, Lili called me and asked if I could be her baby sitter when she gets back from her plastic surgery.  There is no way I can do this while working, and there is no way I want to do this while not on vacation. So having a job paid off in a way I'd never have expected....   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment