Thursday, April 7, 2016

The difference betwen men and boys.....


Elio Motors' P5 prototype vehicle. It was targeted to be in production by 2016, but it now looks like 2017 will be the year this vehicle hits the market.

Why do I mention this?

My plans for the day called for me to go to the Auto Show right after work and look for this car. (Technically, it may be classed as a motorcycle due to its 3 wheel design, but I'll call it a car until they have a better classification for the vehicle.)  When my coworker got in, she noted that she and her husband had plans to go to the show tonight, so I mentioned my plans....

When the day ended, the two of us trekked uptown on the 7th avenue line (a novelty for her, as she usually takes the 4th avenue line) to Times Square, and transferred to the Flushing line for the single stop to Hudson Yards.  From there, it was a short walk to the Javits Center where we went our separate ways.  (I'd have liked to meet her husband.  But it was just as well, as I wanted to see the car in the above picture, and he likely had his own agenda.) 

My first stop was at the best test ride of the day - at the Jeep demonstration area.  After the test ride, it felt like I just had a ride on a great roller coaster....


Yes, I had to listen to the sales patter.  But I was impressed by how this car handled harsh conditions.  (Too bad that Toyota's adjacent test ride wasn't as strenuous as this ride.  But they may still have the more practical car.)

Next, it was over to the Elio Motors station, where I had the chance to sit inside the prototype.  It's not a perfect car (yet) but I didn't feel as if the car was too small for me.  Snug, yes.  But not too tight.  I'd certainly want to take a few test rides before making a decision to buy a production model when it comes out in 2017.

While in the area, I took a few photos of some old police cars, including one from an old TV show - "Car 54, Where are you?"


I walked all over the place, and took a test ride in an electric BMW.  There's no way I'll buy a plug in vehicle from any firm other than Tesla, as I refuse to have a car with less than a 300 mile driving range.  (Mind you, until I move to a place with a private garage with electric outlet, there's no way I can have an electric automobile.)  Afterwards, I took a test ride in the Toyota Rav 4 - and considered it a boring ride after having been on Jeep's Roller Coaster.

Just before I left, I wished I could have attended in female mode (though this would have put the kibosh on Jeep's test ride, where I had to show id), as there was a contest from one magazine to have you take a selfie at the how - and you could win one of ten handbags. My Marian persona could use a new handbag.....













1 comment: