Friday, April 8, 2016

Scrabble with the ladies....



Scrabble - One of my favorite games since I was young.  And since I didn't have the usual game venue to go to tonight, my plans were to drive to WPB's after work, after changing into Marian mode, and enjoying a good hour or two of Scrabble with the ladies.

It took me longer than usual to get ready, as I had to rinse the subway sweat off my body before putting on my feminine garments.  Instead of making it to WPB's by 7:30 pm, it was closer to 8:00 pm.  Yet, everyone was on their first (and only) game, as all the ladies were gabbing away instead of playing their games.

The more I'm accepted into the world of women, the more I realize that women can be just as ignorant as men can be. We each root for members of "our tribes" to win, and we don't realize we are doing so because of tribal loyalty.  In many ways, I can understand this of women.  Group cohesion is essential for most women. Women have a lot more invested in social groups, and their position in society depends on the proper navigation between responsibilities to, and benefits from their social groups.

So I'm learning to walk a very fine line.  The group with whom I was to play a game of Scrabble broke up before a second game was played.  One woman was uncomfortable with my talk about the game, in part, because I knew what I was doing (and she didn't), and in part, because I was inadvertently disrupting her status quo...
 
After everyone left, WPB and I had a conversation that lasted an hour.  It's nice that she wants to keep me in her circle of friends.  We will never be "that" close, but it's good that I have another friend in the world of women.....




No comments:

Post a Comment