Monday, April 18, 2016

Little Headaches....


This is not a picture of what the space underneath my kitchen sink looks like.  It is only an illustration to give you an idea of something I have to deal with, and may eliminate the one night I planned to spend en-femme next week.

- - - - - -

Unlike the picture above, all of the pipes leading to and from my kitchen sink are made of metal. The pipe connecting my sink to the "trap pipe" (the white "U" or elbow shaped pipe at the bottom) is made of copper, and it is shiny - unlike the pipes around it.  This means that once a leak occurs, one has to consider the condition of the pipes around it before making repairs.  No matter what is said by some, metal will gradually oxidize with exposure to water and other chemicals,  and pipes will eventually need to be replaced.  Luckily, this is a rare thing - except for those pipes near sinks, toilets, and tubs.  And recently. this pipe  below the sink's drain came loose on both ends (don't ask me how I know this, except to note that I was NOT doing any repairs) and started to leak.

Unfortunately, I come home too late from work to be here during the week for daytime plumber's rates.  We have a handyman working for my co-op who does side jobs around the place.  He installed my kitchen faucet, and is the most likely person to ask for help (for a price, of course) in this matter.  But he's not here after 5:00 pm.  So I may be able to get GFJ to be here while he works on the pipes, hoping that he can do all the work in one evening (he may need parts), so that I don't have to take off from work.  If this is the case, I'll be sure to take GFJ out for a nice dinner.

One thing I know - I won't be doing much in the kitchen until this problem is resolved....




No comments:

Post a Comment