Tuesday, March 8, 2016

The beginning of the second week


It was the start of my second week at work, and the new gal (the other project manager) started today.  She's a nice lady, and it's good that I have someone learning the system at the same time as I'm learning the system.

- - - - - -

There is a certain camaraderie among coworkers, and it was nice to have someone with whom to go to lunch.  I'm not sure of how often we'll be doing so, but I think it'd be nice for us to make this a regular event.  Over lunch, she noted - there doesn't seem to be that many women in the office.  Both my boss (later on) and I (over lunch) noted that a lot of people don't bother to come into the office on Mondays, and that she'll likely meet more women tomorrow.  (If she only could know about me being TG - but I doubt that I'll ever come out on the job.)

After lunch, I got a message on LinkedIn. It seems like another former coworker (not in my area) at my old bank got laid off.  And I was just thinking of him on the way into the office - what a strange coincidence!  I'll try to give him a few of my contacts (what few they are), and hope that he can find something.  It's a shame that they are cleaning house at the old place, but I hold no grudge against them - I was treated well while I was there, and I was treated well on leaving.  Hopefully, the people I used to work with will be able to keep their jobs until retirement.

- - - - - -

The more I commute to Lower Manhattan, the more I meet people I haven't seen in months. The more things change, the more they stay the same - and I can say that about the regulars I used to see on the train.  About the only thing that changed has been Grand Central Terminal, and most of the little places I used to stumble into have been affected by the East Side Access project which will bring the LIRR into a new concourse below the original Grand Central complex.

Will LIRR access be available before I retire?  Who knows?  But I do know that this access will make it much easier to reach one of the airports from the Northern suburbs.  And maybe by then, I'll be flying en-femme for all my vacations....


   




 

No comments:

Post a Comment