Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Snow? In Mid March?


It's Mid March in the Hudson Valley, and we've just had what is likely to be the last snow fall of the season - all 1/2" of it.  It's Winter's last blast, and it comes at the beginning of Spring.

- - - - - -

When I left the house this morning, there was 1/2" of snow on my windshield.  I'm lucky that I left a scraper in my car, as I had the windshield clean in 2 minutes, and was at the station with more than enough time to spare.  It was a very pleasant ride in to NYC, and I was lucky enough to capture the above picture as the train reached the Bronx border.

Reaching the city, it was hard to believe that there was any snow - it was the storm that wasn't.  And if I had known how clean the streets would be (no slush in the gutters), I would have broken in a new pair of shoes.  Although I dawdled a little bit at Grand Central, I made it to work by 9:30 am, and was able to enjoy a relaxed commute to the office.

Once settled in, I sent out a message to my friends on the co-op board of directors, telling them that the growth on my dad's bladder was benign - and all sent me their sighs of relief. 4 people are being elected to the board this year, and 2 of them (myself included) are holdovers from the old board.  It looks like I'll be spending another couple of years with the board, and I hope I can continue to make a positive contribution.  Hopefully, no one will bring up any issue related to me being transgender - but I figure that others will "swat" down any troublemakers that pop up. And then WPB sent me a message - to assume that someone will drop out of Poker Night, and for me to come.  It's nice to know that one cisgender woman is very comfortable having me there for a women's group Poker night....

The day passed slowly due to two things.  First, my boss was in Taiwan, and unable to give us another lesson on the workings of the system we are supposed to support.  And then, the computer that was supposed to be replaced wasn't - and I couldn't explore the database tables I'm expected to know before being set loose on a client/project.  I didn't feel guilty for leaving a few minutes early, as they will get their pound of flesh when I perform my first deployment.

- - - - - -

I walked back to the subway station at Fulton and William Streets, and caught the following images:



As much as I hate the fact that the MTA spent many millions on making the Fulton Street subway complex a more pleasant place to be in, there is only so much that could be done. The subway lines were shoehorned into a tight, pre-automobile street layout, and they did not have the luxury of space that they had above Canal Street. So the platforms are narrow, and ventilation is poor. I can easily imagine how uncomfortable things will be when Summer comes.

- - - - - -

I reached Grand Central with a few minutes to spare before my train left the station.  It was off to Starbucks I went, and it seemed to take forever to get a large unsweetened iced tea. Yet, I made it to a window seat, and planted myself for the ride home.  Toward the end of my commute, I was able to catch the following photos of sunset over the Hudson River.



The cloud formation looked a little stranger from the train than it does in the photos - as if it was raining/snowing somewhere off to the Northwest.  And this might explain why GFJ had some snow as the sun was going down.  

Are you sure this is Spring????? 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment