Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Luggage


Luggage - Something that usually takes up a lot of space, and yet is often rarely used.

- - - - - -

One of the problems I have with the luggage I have is that every large suitcase has at least one bad rolling wheel where the rubber has come off.  As a result, each of the three bags were of questionable value - especially when it will cost more to fix the suitcases than to replace them.  So I trashed them all, and bought a suitcase that I could afford to trash if the same thing happened again.

- - - - - -


The first time I went on a cruise with Lili, I splurged and bought a new suitcase.  By the time I returned from the cruise, the standing cushions (I don't know what to call the four rubber things seen at the side of the standing blue bag near the center of the photo) were broken, and one wheel no longer would turn.  Although I could have made a big stink about the suitcase's lack of durability to the manufacturer, I said the hell with it. 

Of course, newer suitcases are much lighter than the ones I bought nearly 20 years ago. So it made sense for me to buy at least one new suitcase, for the times I may consider travel by air.  The last time I decided to fly, my bag was overweight - and I had to shift a bit of the stuff I was carrying into my carry on at the last moment.  And it didn't help that I wasn't "flying pretty" like Kim does when she can get a chance.  (Breast forms take up a lot of space and they weigh a lot for a T-Gal of my size.)

One of these days, I'll have to rescue some of my late wife's luggage that's in storage at my dad's place.  I don't know if I'll ever use it.  But she had bought old fashioned, high quality American Tourister stuff (when it was top notch) in a shade of pink.  And if I'm ever going to travel pretty, it might make sense to use this luggage for these trips (if not traveling by air).

- - - - - -

There is another wrinkle - the airlines may be changing the size of allowed carry-on bags.  I'll hate having to buy a new, smaller carry-on in the future.  But I'll deal with that problem when I need to do so....




No comments:

Post a Comment