Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Forgetful Me....


My morning commute.  It is usually a minor inconvenience due to its length. But today, I forgot something I needed - the ID card I use to get into my office.  Normally, this might not have been such a hassle. But not knowing the headaches I'd face through the day, I realized that today's commute would be a big headache....

- - - - - -

Normally, I set up things I need for the next day just before I go to sleep in the evening. However, I didn't wrap my ID card's lanyard around my wallet - and I was very groggy when I woke up this morning.  So, after getting dressed, I simply put my wallet in my pocket - and off I went to work.

As soon as I got on the train, I realized that I forgot the ID card, and realized that I'd have to bail at Croton-Harmon to catch a cab, pick up my ID card, and make it back to the train station on time to catch the next train to NYC.  (The train doors had just shut before I was able to get out - so I was stuck until the doors opened in Croton.)  When I got off the train, I rushed to the cab stand, and told the cabbie what I needed to do.  He talked to his dispatcher, and they gave me a discounted rate for a round trip to/from my apartment. I was glad, as this cost me only $15 after tip. Once I picked up my ID, we rushed back to Croton-Harmon, where I barely made it to the 8:06 am train. One benefit of all of this - It was much easier to get a seat for every step of my commute....

- - - - - -

Arriving at the office, my boss told me that they had temporary id cards that they usually hand out to contractors.  So all of this headache was not needed.  Now, I know!  But I was glad to have had this happen, as it told me something about the mettle of my boss - he uses a sense of judgement in what information to convey, as he was concerned that if I was already in the middle of a plan change, telling me about the contractor cards would have caused me to screw up my already screwed up commute even more....

Once I was at the office, I had a phone call to make.  My dad was being operated on today, as he had a tumor in his bladder.  6 cm - To some that's small. To me, it's 6 cm too big!  There was no way that I'd forget to call my brother for a status update.  (But I did forget to call my dad last night to wish him the best.)  Later on, my brother gave me the update, then told me that the doctor got everything out - and that we're waiting for the results of the biopsy.

- - - - - -

You can tell where my mind was at today.  So it is no surprise that I forgot that GFJ was feeling ill.  So when I asked her how her day was going, she reminded me where she was at.  At least I didn't forget to ask her about her day....



No comments:

Post a Comment