Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Drinking Water from a Fire Hose


This may be the only time I mention any details about the place where I now work.  They have a very strict policy regarding social media, and I don't want to run afoul of it.  Suffice it to say that I work in the area where this snapshot was taken, and I want to keep my job for the next few years.

- - - - - -

On my first day at work, I felt like I was drinking water out of a fire hose.  There was so much I knew I needed to learn, and I felt like I was entering school again.  However, I have to say that they didn't expect myself or the other project manager who hired on at the same time to be productive for at least several months.  As you can guess, there is a reasonably steep learning curve to this business, and this firm is willing to make the investment in time and money to insure that they can keep their business running.

Since this was the first day at the office, I didn't have access to most of the things we take for granted.  For example, I don't have voicemail access yet, nor do I have a computer. But at least, I have an ID card, and can enter/leave the office at will. Because of the nature of the business, if I were to give away any more details, you'd be able to figure out exactly where I work with a little research. So I'll change the subject....

- - - - - -


  
This area of the city can be a nice place to work, except for the commute.  There is no shortage of food shops around here - but many of them are overpriced.  In the summer, I'll be very envious of the women who are able to go outside in loose fitting dresses and be able to be comfortable in the warm weather.  But there is no way that I'll out myself at this job.  I don't want to be the center of attention - I want the quality of my work to be the center of attention.
 
The other day, my brother interviewed for a position in Lower Manhattan.  He would be working on the other side of the island, at the World Financial Center.  If the two of us were to walk along Fulton Street, we'd likely meet at Broadway.  So I'm hoping that we are both working near each other, so that I can see him more often.

- - - - - -

While at work, my niece texted me, saying congratulations on the new position - and to tell me that when she is not so busy (in a few weeks) that she'd like to go to a museum again. She also loves Ramen Soup, so I know we'll be meeting for a tasty dinner as well.  Will I ever tell her that I'm trans?  I'm not sure at this time.

Around lunch time, Lili called - and I had to brush her off.  The one habit of hers that I have to break is one of calling me every day in the afternoon. My time is not mine anymore, and I have to be sure that she doesn't get in the way of doing my work.

Later on, GFJ emailed me.  My plans were to call her sometime after work.  It seems like she has a problem with her water system, and does not have running water in her house.  I'm glad I'm not staying there right now.

- - - - - -

Tomorrow, I have to bring back the signed I-9 paperwork that allows the firm to complete the hiring process. Since I forgot to bring in a check, so that I can set up automatic deposit of my pay, I guess that'll be one more thing that I'll have to take care of in the morning....



    

No comments:

Post a Comment