Saturday, February 13, 2016

Quickie: Stumbling into a new dress




Sometimes, when browsing the racks of a store, a dress calls out to me.  A few extra dollars in my wallet, combined with a dress on the rack, sometimes results in a new addition to my closet.  This dress was one of those new additions.

What about this dress made it special?

I have way too many "dressy" dresses.  The dress I was wearing when I saw this dress was a little more dressy than I normally wear.



It would be perfect for going into an office, but it isn't that casual.  Yet, I could get away with wearing a dress like this on a weekday, as many women have to dress like this when going to work.

Clothing a man is very simple.  In ascending order of formality: Denim, Khaki (a.k.a. Business Casual to many), Business Suit (Brown, Blue, or Gray), and Dinner Suit (Black, often known as a "Tux").  The "White Tux" is also worn, but far less than it once was.  
However, clothing a woman is much more complicated. A woman is expected to dress up or dress down her outfits (usually on the fly) using accessories to meet the occasion. There is a gradient in a woman's presentation that doesn't exist for a man. And this is something that a transgender person must learn, in order to be convincing in her presentation.

I've found that learning how to wear clothes like a cisgender woman takes time, as there are many rules to learn, follow, and break along the way.  I tend to dress more like a girly girl, and a little bit more formal than many women would dress for an occasion.  And when the winter comes, this makes it harder for me to break out my dresses and look as feminine as possible.  Yet, I've found that with certain dresses, I can still wear them as long as I'm wearing leggings or tights.  It's the little things like this that make it hard to look completely natural in the role of being a woman without a lot of practice.









No comments:

Post a Comment