Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a brush across my wig. And looking up, I noticed I was late....


As I write this, the media is focused on the death of David Bowie. And he was one of the few people who worked with both John Lennon (pictured above, with George Harrison) and Mick Jagger, that was also in their league as composers and performers. Bowie triggered a chain of memories that ended with the song "A Day in the Life" - and the above picture is from that recording session....

You must be wondering - why does "A Day in the Life" have anything to do with this blog entry?  Well, like the character in the middle of the song, I didn't notice that it was getting late until I realized that I had a limited choice of things to do.  

- - - - - -

Today, I expected to hear from one firm and schedule a phone interview with its HR department. Depending on the success of the phone interview, I could make it to the next step of the process and talk to the hiring manager about the opening.  But first, I had to get this interview scheduled.  And this didn't happen until after most people's dinner time.

But first....

Lili called me several times today to try to get me to go with her to get a pedicure.  One problem - after this weekend, I already was down to half my weekly allotment of cash and didn't want to spend a good part of the rest on a pedicure with 4 1/2 days to go in my budget week. She was disappointed, but this is not my problem.  She can always go by herself.

Around 4:00 pm, I got showered and dressed, and got myself ready to go outside.  However, I decided to fill out a survey for a job training program offered by New York State, to help place the long term unemployed into the health care industry.  So I fully expect that I'll end up visiting one of the local NYS board of labor offices to find out more about the program.  

Once done with this survey, I figured that I'd try to call Pat to see if we could get together. She was not available, so I figured that I'd go to The Avenue in Newburgh and see if I could find a long sleeve shirt I wanted.  And I did so, getting the shirt at a clearance price.  After chatting for a while, I decided to head to Walmart to do some shopping.  On the way there, I had the chance to speak with GFJ and see how she's getting along with her cold - and I found out that she stayed home from work today.  

At Walmart, a woman approached me.  I was pegged as being transgender, and she wanted a picture with me.  ("Am I that much of a freak?"  "Do I stand out that much as a trans person?" Both harsh and soft questions came to mind, but my overall attitude was upbeat and positive - as well as the look on my face in the picture taken of the two of us.)  I then completed my shopping, feeling good that I was able to do a little bit of outreach - even though I might have been just a curiosity to her.
 
Then I went to buy gas.  Although I was running on fumes, it was a mistake to go to this station - the station's tank was almost empty, and pumping out liquid slower than soda fountains.  It took 5 minutes to pump out $5.00 of gas.  But that was just enough for me to feel comfortable driving from Woodbury Common to Peekskill. (I might not have made it on what was in the tank prior to the gas station visit.)  

Since many of my readers are not familiar with the region, I have to describe the drive a little to explain why having enough gas in my tank was very important. This 20 mile route takes me over a mountain, through a state park where there are no services, and where there are cell phone dead spots galore. Even though the idiot light had not yet come on, I know not to take chances when my fuel level is that low.  And I was glad I got that extra 2 gallons of gas.  Just outside of Peekskill, the police were setting up a caution zone, with flares alight. It seems like ice melt had covered part of the road making a hairpin curve a very dangerous place, and could have forced another 20 mile drive to the nearest filling station....

- - - - -

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's phone interview. Am I concerned that I won't get the job?  Just a little. But I realize that I can get by, if I carefully watch my money until I can collect Social Security.  And this makes things much easier to deal with....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment