Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Going into NYC for an interview


Last night, I wasn't able to sleep well. Even though I went to bed earlier than usual, I didn't fall to sleep until after 4 am.  Normally, this wouldn't be a problem.  But, I had to be out the door by 8:30 am, so that I could catch a train into NYC for an 11 am interview in Lower Manhattan.  Luckily, sleeping with "the elephant" is even making such short sleep periods as I had last night much more effective in providing me the rejuvenation I need for my daily activities.

- - - - - -

When I got up, all the alarms I set were ringing - and I had to get moving enough to get myself out of drowsiness, and become fully awake.  From there, it was relatively easy for me to get out on time.  (Sadly, I had to go out as Mario.  Until I'm ready to go 24x7, Mario will always be a part of my life.)  Yet, I gambled on being able to have food in my stomach, as well as coffee in my caffeine stream.  Luckily, I got to the station while the coffee shop was still open, and while he had the food I needed to keep my stomach from growling.

Arriving in NYC, I had a few minutes to kill, and I stopped inside the NYC Transit Museum Annex, and looked at their yearly setup of Lionel trains.  (The above picture came from today's snapshots.)  Since I knew I didn't want a growling stomach during the interview, I picked up another bite to eat before going on the subway.

- - - - - -

I arrived downtown, finding that I had a few minutes to kill.  Luckily, there was a Starbucks across the street from where I was going.  This made it possible to stage my arrival for a few minutes before 11 am.  I was glad that I didn't have to show any id when I entered the building.  Instead, all I had to do is have the guard call upstairs - and then let me in.

Once upstairs, I had a very pleasant interview, lasting longer than I expected.   I was pleasantly surprised that the interview lasted about 90 minutes, and that my nervousness went away after a few minutes.  Is the job right for me?  I'm not sure.  Could I do the job?  It's a stretch, but I'd probably be OK - as long as I'm persistent.  Will they choose me?  I'm not sure yet, but I believe that I'm going to be one of their top choices - and that's about all I can expect for now....

- - - - - -

When I left the place, I walked back to the subway station with a stop for a "quality" burger at a no name joint serving Sirloin or Kobe steak burgers - YUM!  While on the way home, several people tried to contact me - GFJ, Lili, and Vicki.  GFJ is keeping her fingers crossed for me, Lili is on her way to Florida, and Vicki was just keeping touch.  I'll have to say more to these friends, as I wasn't able to say much while on the train home....

- - - - - -

I won't bore you with the co-op board meeting, as I can't say much about it anyway. But one thing I can say - I can't wait to get back to being Marian tomorrow....






2 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck getting back into the work force

    ReplyDelete